Hall of Fame
For almost 100 years Royalty, Presidents, Prime Ministers, film stars, music icons, sporting legends and other global celebrities have made Meikles their choice.
Our proudest moment was playing a critical role in the birth of the new Republic of Zimbabwe when The Stewart Room hosted the official banquet for foreign dignitaries attending celebrations for the granting of Independence by Britain in 1980.
Guest of Honour was Britain’s Charles, Prince of Wales, who was joined by more than 40 heads of state at the gala dinner that preceded the Independence Ceremony at midnight on April 17, 1980.
Famous figures from the past have included the late King Edward VIII of Britain (while he was still Prince of Wales) and his brother, the then Duke of Kent, who was killed during the Second World War. Many leading political leaders of the post-war era stayed at Meikles , most notably British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan, who famously dined at La Fontaine Restaurant while in the country for his “winds of change” speech in the early 1960s.
Meikles has been the hotel of choice for international sports teams, such as Davis Cup tennis groups, and also the Brazilian soccer team who visited for a warm-up match prior to the 2012 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
Many international business forums and conferences have been held at Meikles over the years, including the World Economic Forum summit on Africa attended by several notable global business leaders.
Other famous people who selected Meikles include:
• The iconic late President of South Africa, Nelson “Madiba” Mandela, who died in December 2013 at the age of 95 and was feted as a global hero.
• GracaMachel, wife of former South African President, the late Nelson Mandela, and widow of Mozambican President Samora Machel.
• Hilary Clinton, when she was First lady of the United states.
• The Duke of Edinburgh from Britain.
• Charles, The Prince of Wales
• Prince Edward
• Michael Jackson
• Bruce Springsteen
• Don Williams, country singer
• The Soweto String Quartet
• Miriam Makeba
• Akon, global hip-hop star
• Peter Sampras & John McEnroe, USA tennis stars and Wimbledon champions.
• John Maxwell, best-selling evangelical-Christian author
• Steven Covey, best-selling author (Seven habits of Highly Effective People